Monday, March 18, 2013

Small haul for the Girls

I was able to do a little online shopping last night for the two girls! My first purchase was a heartbeat box for each of them. My first small mod will be to make a slit in the chest of their cloth bodies and to add thin velcro strips to the seams in that spot so that in the future when the heartbeat boxes need new batteries, I can remove them easily and quickly. These heartbeat boxes supposedly have a very soft beat that is set in motion when you pick baby up and cuddle them, pressing against the heart-box. The claim is that it is a very faint, natural beat that you feel more than you can hear. You can't hear unless you put your ear against the chest. It will be SO cool to feel a beating heart whenever I pick either of them up and cuddle them.

In addition to the heart boxes, I also got an adorable authentic hospital receiving blanket, a pink and blue striped newborn hospital cap, and baby powder scented wonder wafers. :) I have a lot more research to do for the best way to use a pacifier with Brianna, the silicone doll, because I read in a few places that even the paci itself should not be made of latex, and should be silicone.. So I have lots of figuring out to do as to what's OK for Brianna's silicone mouth before I settle for just any pacifier or adhering method. 

I was amazed to also find out last night on a forum that it is not advisable to keep a silicone up against a vinyl baby, because over time the vinyl can cause some sort of a reaction in the silicone material..? :-/ Wow, I'm glad that I found that information, really, because I would have undoubtedly kept Emilyne and Brianna together in one basket the majority of the time! Now I'm glad I know that that wouldn't have been good for Brianna in the long-run, and I would never want to destroy such a large (for me!) investment. Brianna will have her own basket, just as Emilyne has now. I am going through my large baskets this week so that I can have one prepared for her arrival. :) I'm going to play it safe and use a white blanket for her basket since there was also information that some colors could possibly stain silicone over time. On top of that, hard surfaces could create permanent indents in silicone, so I'll have to keep the basket very padded and not have her head leaning on the baskets edge for any long length of time. Wow, I just really had no idea how high-maintenance silicone was. But still, I don't regret my choice. 

Next plan for a mod will be to look into a vinyl chest plate for Emilyne, and to do research on what kind of material I will need to look at for a chest plate for silicone Brianna. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.